2015年3月6日金曜日

Howard Empty Pockets

This is a quick, collaborative effort, created with friends Hugh Ashton and Peter Sidell, who provided some of the verses.


Howard Empty Pockets

Howard Empty Pockets is forever 
in the red; he used to have a
bit of cash, but bit by bit
it fled.

"Whatever happened to it all?"
He asks in some dismay;
"It's flown to others' hands now, 
all I do is pay and pay!"

"I used to live a life of ease,
and dined on caviar.
But now my daily meal is peas,
and pickles from a jar."

"I drove a fancy Rolls-Royce once,
unlike the rest of us.
But now, I end up walking
or on good days, take the bus."

"I drank from crystal glasses,
and it always was champagne;
but now when I feel thirsty,
I just have to wait for rain."

"My pockets used to jingle
as I strode along the street.
There's nothing now but holes there,
and somehow, that's not so neat."

"When life was good, the ladies
used to swarm 'round me like bees!
But now the only swarms I
ever think about are fleas."

"Alas", he says, "I must adjust 
to my reduced condition."
And bidding me a sad farewell, he heads
back toward the mission.


0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿